Tuesday 8 November 2011

Second Letter

Monday 21st of November, 1932
Dear Joseph:                                                                                                              
                How are you and your aunt? Even everything is messing up because of the post-world war economical crisis, throughout my parents’ job and effort, we have been able to keep our high standard of living, without us, kids, having to work to help with the finances.
                The last weekend, on Sunday, we enjoyed a boring evening in the beach, as the custom says. Ella prepared the usual picnic that we ate while we played checkers. Alice, the youngest, could not understand the game well, but she had fun anyway handing the red and black chips, until she got bored and stood from Mom’s lamp to drown her doll. As checkers ended, Dad and I went fishing to the lake, while Mom and Granny watched kids playing. As sun set, Dad and I came back and showed to the rest of the family our trophies: a couple of huge silver trout. Dylan and Emma, the friends of mine who I told you about in my last letter, invited me to hang around the town as they have already accomplished with their Sunday family responsibilities. But, even I begged Dad to let me go with them, he denied my request. “Frank”, he said, “you perfectly know what you got to do on Sunday: family comes first”. So I said goodbye to them and saw them go away sadly. I don’t know why we cannot just go to the cinema instead of doing this entire boring staff, or even why I’m not supposed to drink coke.
                We got home at dinner time and took off all the common white clothes wore on Sunday, to wear instead others more comfortable. Then, we gathered around the radio trying to tune Sunday’s musical programme in. As we couldn’t, we had dinner earlier, when we listened to Mom’s news: Stuarts’ daughter is expecting! Then, Granny started to criticize how times change... An unmarried girl expecting is a sin accordin to her!
Next week, Dad and I are taking the kids to our landing for them to learn to hunt and shoot at last. Dad was taking too much time... They are very excited! However, Mom’s worried about little Alice turning into a tomboy.
Are you visiting us for Christmas? Ask your Aunt!
Sincerely yours,
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment